Tuesday

6 July 2010

Hola amigos! We have been having so much fun here in Santiago! For the 4th of July we all went on a day trip into the Andes. We drove out of Santiago and through a Valley past San José de Maipo. Here is a live map of Santiago including where we live, where we work, and where we went hiking, generated using Google MyMaps and Gmap4 map viewer (Thanks Uncle Joe!).

The Andes were sooo awesome! I took about 250 pictures before my camera died, but I these are some of my favorites. Oh and I met a new puppy friend!

I also discovered a nifty tool on my computer that makes pictures into panoramic pictures, so I had some fun with that.
When we were hiking in the
mountains the snow was pretty icy in some spots so we went penguin sliding down the hills on our stomachs. Very fun!
After hiking we stopped at a super cute cafe on the way home called Luna Llena with small doors and awesome food! I had a cafe helado, basically coffee with a scoop of ice cream and then whip cream on top. Fantastic!


Yesterday we spent getting some work done, and then this morning as Tina, Rachel, and I were leaving the house we noticed a bus full of military band members outside next to some mounted police, so we hung out and got to watch the changing of the guards ceremony at La Moneda (the presidential offices close to our house). There was a parade with band right down our street! So cool!





Oh, and per suggestion, turkey degu!

4 comments:

  1. What - you took 250 pictures and we only get to see 4?! ;-) Penguin sliding sounds super fun. I hope you got video of that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bet those Andes Mountains kick the crap out of the ol' boring Rocky Mountains we saw in Colorado!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Before you left you said you would have NO free time and you would be playing with degus all day long...hmmmmm penguin portrayal and dog adoption sounds like you found more time :)

    Does cartoon Degu have a name? Does he have a partner or is he/she a swinger?? I would love to know the back story!!! hahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha yes the Andes might be more awesome than the Rockies, but the Colo trip was definitely fantastic. Sarah - I said I didn't know how much free time we would have. This cartoon degu is named Turkey degu, his name just didn't really line up with the picture. And same as the other ones he is named for his telemetry beeping sounds

    ReplyDelete